Justin Anderson trained as a painter at the Slade School in London where he won the John Ruskin Award for painting. Then under scholarship at the Rijksakademie in Amsterdam where he began to work in video. His work has been shown in galleries and museums internationally alongside artists such as
Paul McCarthy and Carsten Höller.
He spent some years working in advertising until he started directing short films. He has won many awards for his work in fashion – which include collaborations with Armani, Agent Provocateur, Roksanda Ilincic, Richard Nicoll & Jonathan Saunders. He has made pop videos with articulating trucks and TV commercials for clients that include Schweppes, Replay Jeans and Levis.
His film Jumper for Jonathan Saunders won the GRAND PRIX at the Fashion Film Awards Pompidou in Paris. His work is regularly featured in Italian and French Vogue, Purple Magazine and I-D.
In December 2014 he was awarded the option the Booker nominated novel Swimming Home by Deborah Levy which is in development for his first feature film.
In 2016 he completed The Idyll is a surrealist tale from a short story by Guy De Maupassant. It features the french actress Emma de Caunes and Hollywood action hero Dougray Scott in an unlikely tender role.
• John Ruskin Prize for Painting- SLADE SCHOOL OF FINE ART
• Winner ASVOFF Pompidou 2010 Best Actress
• Winner ASVOFF Pompidou 2011 Best Styling
• Winner ASVOFF Barcelona Best Art Direction 2011
• Winner BERLIN FASHION FILM FESTIVAL 2012 Best Film
• Winner BERLIN FASHION FILM FESTIVAL 2012 Best Idea
• Winner BORNSHORTS 2012 Best Fashion Film
• Winner BERLIN FASHION FILM FESTIVAL 2014 Best Cinematography
• Winner BERLIN FASHION FILM FESTIVAL 2014 Best Music
• Winner GRAND PRIX ASVOFF Pompidou 2014
• Winner Best Original Score British Arrows Craft Awards 2104